Texas Premier Physicians
Bita Pour-Jafari, MD
Family Medicine located in Houston, TX
The right medical support, solutions, and guidance can be especially beneficial in helping you to lift the heavy weight of depression off your shoulders. At Texas Premier Physicians, kindhearted and attentive physician Bita Jafari, MD, works with you to boost your health, lifestyle, and wellness, until you regain your vibrancy, vitality, and zest for life. Dr. Jafari truly cares about your wellbeing and devises individualized comprehensive treatment plans. Call the Houston office today or schedule your personal consultation online.
What is depression?
Depression (or major depressive disorder or clinical depression) refers to a mood disorder that involves a persistent overarching feeling of sadness. With depression, you might have little to no interest in many activities you used to find enjoyable.
Depression is often a mental health condition necessitating quality long-term treatment. It isn’t just a passing phase of feeling under the weather or down.
What are the symptoms of depression?
Some of the symptoms of depression include:
- A general loss of interest and pleasure in several activities
- Impatience, anxiety, and agitation
- Slowed or impaired memory or cognitive functioning
- Angry outbursts, frustration, and irritability surrounding small matters
- Sleep disturbances
- Feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and emptiness
- Lack of motivation
- Chronic fatigue
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- A habit of obsessively focusing on past failures and blaming yourself
- Enhanced cravings and/or reduced appetite
- Thoughts of death or suicide and, in some cases, suicide attempts
You might also have unexplained physical problems like back pain or headaches or weight loss or gain. With depression, you might have difficulties with some of your normal daily tasks.
What causes depression?
The cause of depression isn’t definitive and multiple factors might play a role in the development of depression, such as:
- Changes in the brain and brain chemistry
- Inherited traits
In some cases, a life event can trigger a depressive episode. Other risk factors for depression are substance abuse, low self-esteem, chronic illness, and chronic pain, and a history of other mental health disorders.
How is depression treated?
The first step is an evaluation. After an evaluation, Dr. Jafari creates a personalized treatment plan and recommends treatments to help you overcome your depression, such as:
- Medications when necessary, such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and stimulants
- Lifestyle changes, including appropriate regular exercise, stress management, and a nutrient-dense healthy diet
Treatment for depression often requires multiple approaches. Lifestyle changes and medications often work well together and can have a profound positive impact on your overall health and wellness.
Dr. Jafari and the caring health professionals of Texas Premier Physicians are here to help when you need it most. The goal is always to enhance your health and happiness and combat your depression one day at a time.
For attentive and valuable care for your depression, book online or call Texas Premier Physicians.
Pap Smearmore info
Urinary Tract Infectionmore info
Weight Lossmore info
Menopause Evaluation on Bioidentical HRTmore info
Male Testosterone Replacement Therapymore info
Virtual Clinicmore info